Monday, September 26, 2011

Gloom season

 ***

After an afternoon of rain

A mist blankets
the raintrees
as storm clouds
drift toward
the setting sun.

Bull frogs groan
in the mud
under the creepers
and reeds,
cattails nod
    as moist air
        breathes. Wet

    are the faces
of rocks, open palm
leaves, the last
of the rain drops
gather and drip
into foamy pools
and mud streams

               swirling
     brown grit,
  a soup
       of fallen
               foliage
           and
drowned
       insects;
                    a

live concert of crickets
begins a lively symphony.


***

It's been a rainy week mixed with hazy conditions. The sky has been a depressing grey. The nights are better since it has been slightly cooler.

Not gonna take part in any poetry rounds this week as I'm probably not going to be able to reciprocate from mid week onwards. There is an annoying event to attend to in real life near end of the week that I'm not particularly looking forward to. I would rather not go, but I will try to make the best of it. Perhaps I will have more material for writing when I return on the weekend.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the write, wonderful tone held throughout, the projective verse is a great touch, I actually love incorporating it into my own work, the frog was a nice touch too, hope your event is better than you expect it to be, sometimes we wind up liking things like that, well I guess depending on what that is:)

Jannie Funster said...

yes, I bet that annoying event does give you much writing fodder!!

Had to attend an annoying event myself last weekend. But survived.

As to the poem -- wonderful!

Would LOVE depressing skies here. So freaking hot and dry still. Oh well...

Jannie Funster said...

Whoops, sorry 'bout the double posting. :) It happens sometimes tho, with computers and such.

Ravenblack said...

Thanks Fred. It's over and hopefully next time, I can avoid it all together. It wasn't so bad, but it was an entirely pointless affair. I'm annoyed because it's a waste of time. And thanks for your feedback on the poem.

Jannie: no worries. Double posting does happen on blogger when it's a bit slow. Thanks for visiting and thanks for your comment. :)

dsnake1 said...

yes, it has been a horrible week of sudden storms. one morning i was caught completely outside as the rain came down in buckets. :)

i like the imagery in this poem, very vivid, as if i am there watching it. i like the use of the line breaks towards the end, adds a visual touch, as like a stream of water flowing down a drain or slope.

Ravenblack said...

Thanks dsnake. I was going for that effect.

Sudden short storms. It's not enough to cool. I really prefer whole day rains than this kind short showers-to-add-to-humidity type of storm. I took a picture on friday morning of the dramatic storm clouds (http://gatheringdustlocal.blogspot.com/2011/10/storm-clouds-in-morning.html) The rain that came only lasted and hour and it was a very sunny day after that.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

This such a wonderful photo that you have created, concise, easily seen, and felt. I can feel a cool moist fog upon the back of my neck.

Jess PJ said...

You've done a great job with the imagery. I also love the shape of the poem.

We just got cool enough weather that rain doesn't automatically mean muggier. I totally know what you mean.

Ravenblack said...

Thanks Jessica. :)