Sunday, November 29, 2015

What an old lady on a bus told me

What an old lady on a bus told me


This is my long ride
back to prison.

There's this man
I’ve lived with
for fifteen years.

See this little
Buddha pendant?

This is all I have.

This is my faith.
I keep with me
all the time now.

Because of him.

One day it had gone missing
from my dressing room table;
I went into the kitchen and
found him playing with it;

when I asked for it back,
he stomped on it,
                         spat
on it, flunked it out
the window;

I told him
Buddha never did any harm
to him; I said,
he can curse and swear at me
all he wants but Buddha,

I said, he should leave
Buddha
out of his unhappiness.

He told me to go jump
off the top floor balcony.
I told him

to go jump off
the balcony himself;

I promised him:

I’ll follow.

I am afraid.
I am not
afraid of him.
I am afraid
of what he
does to me.



Original post:: Jul 12 2007

2 comments:

dsnake1 said...

hey, this is one poem you would come back to read again, because you want to find the answers.
he jumped. but she did not keep her promise.
breathtaking stuff!

Ravenblack said...

Thanks. :)

I can't remember how this conversation started. She was a complete stranger on a bus but she left a lasting impression on me.